How The Liver Impacts Skin, Hormones and Cholesterol
Welcome to the sixth topic in our series of the 45 Day Total Body Detox.
What do hormones, cholesterol and our skin all have in common? The liver! Today, we’ll look at these connections as part of the Total Body Detox.
- The liver manufactures 80% of the cholesterol in the blood
- The liver plays a vital role in regulating cholesterol levels in the body
- Cholesterol is a building block of hormones
- Along with Vitamin D and bile salts, cholesterol helps create neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine
- The liver regulates the balance of hormones in the body
- When there are toxins present in our body, our adrenals release stress hormones as a response. When we begin to remove these toxins, stress hormones are again released.
- The liver processes, transforms and removes excess hormones from the body
- A congested or inefficient liver can lead to emotional imbalances
Supporting and nourishing the liver as well as our adrenals is key to glowing skin, healthy cholesterol levels and happy hormones. So, how do we do this? A combination of Liver Life® and Loving Energy® is a great place to start. The benefits of these two BIORAY products include:
- Reduced skin irritations
- Balanced hormones
- Restful sleep
- Balanced energy and mood
- Improved nutrient absorption
- Balanced histamine response
In addition, there are steps in our day to day lives we can take to further support the liver and adrenals and as a result, our skin, hormones and cholesterol levels as well:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Adequate hydration supports our liver in fulfilling its many duties and keeps our skin smooth and supple
- Use non-toxic personal care products, what goes ON your body also goes IN your body. Avoid ingredients like fragrance, parabens, artificial colors and dyes, phthalates, sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) and aluminum
- Try skin brushing. Using a brush made of natural fibers, brush dry skin in long strokes starting at the limbs and brushing towards the heart. This helps exfoliate the skin, stimulate the lymphatic system, unclog pores and reduce cellulite – hooray!
- Include physical activity in your daily routine
- Choose organic foods as often as possible
- Avoid processed foods as they usually contain high amounts of refined sugar, unhealthy oils, chemicals, food dyes and preservatives
- Incorporate stress management practices like meditation, deep breathing, yoga and walks in nature
- Choose supportive foods that include healthy fats, vitamin C, antioxidants and probiotics. Check out the Roasted Veggie Bowl recipe below to incorporate
Roasted Veggie Bowl
- 5 cups mixed veggies, chopped. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, beets, onions and squash are great options
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ head cauliflower
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ c tahini
- ¼ c warm water
- 2 t coconut aminos
- 2 t honey
- 2 T lemon juice
- ½ bulb of garlic, roasted (can roast along with veggies)
- 2 droppers of Liver Life and 2 droppers of Loving Energy
Toss veggies together with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes, flipping half-way.
Chop ½ head of cauliflower into small florets, add to a food processor and pulse until the size of rice. Add ½ cup water and ½ t salt to medium size pot and bring to a low boil. Add riced cauliflower, cover and cook for 3 - 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or whisk together in a bowl.
Place riced cauliflower in a bowl, add roasted veggies and top with avocado and tahini sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
In our next email, we'll cover: NDF Plus, removing environmental toxins
Tue, Mar 23, 21 |